Purpose of Job
To provide on-site 24/7/365 support for the provision and maintenance of physical IT services within a production data centre environment. These activities typically include the provision and fault diagnostic / rectification of network channel connectivity, installation, relocation & decommissioning of rack mountable IT equipment (servers, switches, routers, etc,). This post will also provide installation and support of OS & software applications. General maintenance & housekeeping of the IT services including valued ‘customer service’ interactions with clients (some of whom may not be technical) is also applicable in this role.
- Receive, respond and resolve Break / Fix (incident) engagements within established SLA timeframes or escalate promptly if they cannot be resolved within that period.
- Receive, assess and complete IT equipment & infrastructure installation, relocation and decommission requests (change) within established SLA timeframes and to applicable internal, manufacture, and/or industry standards.
- Provide smart hands problem solving support upon request. (Server reboots, OS updates/rebuilds, backups, visual inspections, etc,).
- Installation and reconfiguration of structured infrastructure cabling systems (both copper and fibre).
- Receive, assess and complete patching / de-patching requests (both copper and fibre) within established SLA timeframes and to applicable internal, manufacture, and/or industry standards.
- Escort and supervise/monitor work of third-party engineers and/or sub-contractors to ensure their compliance with the site standards when performing maintenance or relevant activity.
- Carry out daily housekeeping checks of the data halls and record their findings.
- Ensure that all records are updated in applicable tools and systems following any changes made.
- Ensure that Method Statements and Risk Assessments are prepared, and used for all tasks undertaken to ensure safe working practices at all times.
- Develop a good working relationship with team members and the Client representatives.
- Deliver a ‘customer service’ experience and environment for end-customers/consumers of data centre services provided.
- Ensure the provision of a Safe and Healthy working environment. To include the wearing of uniform and PPE at all times.
- Operate a Permit-to-Work System in accordance with the company’s Quality, Health & Safety procedures and client requirements.
- Ensure the professional image of CBRE is presented to clients at all times.
- Ensure up to date shift logs are kept at all times.
- Provide holiday and sickness cover at short notice. Be flexible in their working patterns to facilitate delivery of requests within established SLA’s as dictated by the rhythm of the business.
- Remain on site until relieved by incoming shift personnel.
- Undertake other tasks as defined and requested by local management.
- The post holder is accountable to the designated Shift Lead.
- The post holder does not have any directly reporting staff
- The post holder carries no direct budgetary responsibility
A good basic education is essential, with excellent written & spoken English -- and basic Mathematical skills.
CompTIA A+ certification - Required
CompTIA Server+ certification – Preferred
MCTS/MCSA (Server 2008 or sooner) certification - Preferred
CCNA certification – Preferred
ITIL v3 Foundation – Preferred
- Good knowledge of industry standard IT equipment and their components, including: rack mountable server, switch, and blade technology.
- Understanding of the Data Centre environments, and the working restrictions applicable to such environments.
- Good understanding of copper & fibre cabling systems and common transmission principles.
- Good understanding of fault diagnostic techniques including the use of handheld test equipment.
- Installation and maintenance of copper and fibre structured cabling systems. (patch and infrastructure)
- Good understanding of the installation practices for rack mountable IT equipment within a data centre environment (e.g. Cisco, HP and Dell).
- Fluent in customer service related principles, communications, and activities. (proper audience scoping, setting expectations, “can-do” vectored messaging, etc.)
- Familiar with the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Experienced in the use of Fluke handheld Network Analyzers and Data Cable Testers (e.g. DXT1800) including the downloading of test results.
(Desirable) Two years of IT deployment/support experience.
Previous data centre (or similar lab) experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Committed to the delivery of excellent customer service.
- Self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to work under pressure, with changing, and often conflicting, priorities to meet deadlines.
- A team player, able to work with Norland and clients staff of all levels.
- Able to make sound decisions when needed.
- Physically fit as work requires candidate to carry tools, equipment, systems, and/or components by hand. (~60 lbs / 25kg.)
- Able to ascend and descend vertical access to equipment and able to work at heights.
Must be willing to works shifts, provide holiday and sickness cover at short notice, and otherwise be flexible in their working patterns to support requirements dictated by the rhythm of the business.