An opportunity to join CBRE Design, a global team of talented architecture and interior design professionals operating within the largest commercial real estate services company in the world. Our ambition is to deliver exceptional design solutions for our clients, working within a creative cultural environment of teamwork, innovation and creative verve. We are a fast-growing design community strengthened by the extensive resources and services across CBRE’s global platform.
The Design Studio Lead will work with the APAC Regional Design Director to lead the design for the Beijing studio and support the growth of our design capability across China. The China Studio will form part of a larger growth strategy to create a regional design capability extending across Asia Pacific, that will compliment and align with the existing global design network with over 250+ design professionals in the US, and EMEA. Regional design teams will work alongside our APAC project management division of 2000+ project and construction management professionals.
The Design Studio Lead will report into the APAC Regional Design Director for design (as well as have a separate reporting line into the local Advisory PJM Leadership) and have a matrix relationship with the regional and global design community, and country project teams in China.
- Work with the Regional Design Director to help grow the design business as an enabler for growth in our design capability across APAC.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal partners in workplace, project management, and advisory and transaction teams (commercial office leasing).
- Build required capability to enable existing construction teams to expand current Principal offering into Design and Build.
- Profitability – involvement with financial management and budgeting to support the Local Project Manager Lead and Regional Design Director.
- Governance and safety - develop compliance programs for the business to demonstrate contractual and regulatory compliance and reduce CBRE exposure to non-compliance.
- Ensure that appropriate reporting is in place that covers all contractual and performance objectives.
- Grow the design team and Provide leadership and oversee performance of the design team with the aim of expanding scope, minimizing risk to CBRE and enhancing customer satisfaction.
- Develop succession and mentoring plans for all staff under the responsibility of this role.
- Lead project plans for each project, and provide creative and technical guidance.
- Responsible for planning, organizing and directing design team activities, workflow, and other day to day activities, to ensure goals and objectives of the project are accomplished within prescribed time frame and budget, and other performance targets.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the design team in areas of staffing, selection training, development, coaching, mentoring, measuring, appraising and rewarding performance and retention of key contributors.
- Establish strategy, goals and objectives for the design team.
- Oversees all design reviews with design team to promote innovative design solutions.
- Primary daily contact with the client for all project design related matters, manage client requests to ensure we are providing an exemplary service to our customers, and assist with building client relations.
- Represent the company in promoting and marketing interior design services, and work with the Regional Design Director and local project management team in marketing endeavors and proposal preparations.
- Assemble presentations and "leave behinds" when pursuing new projects.
- Connect with and be an extension of our regional and global design leaders, taking global design products and assisting to operationalise these in China.
- Learn CBRE’s proprietary design and planning tools.
- Work with Regional Design Director to lead creative design vision and approach for the studio
- Ensure all projects include QA/QC process for reviewing contract documents for completeness and organization.
- Perform other related duties as and when required.
- Lead by example and model behavior consistent with the company's values.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Exceptional creative skills, design visioning and innovation.
- Significant experience in design leadership roles within reputable design firms.
- Substantial knowledge and experience working in the local market.
- Substantial experience with workplace interiors.
- Commercial excellence.
- Business development professional who can lead and promote design.
- Experience with Workplace Strategy preferred.
- Team leadership, coordination, mentoring, and motivation.
- Expert in all conventional aspects of technical design/architectural principles.
- Design and build project experience.
- Experience with Revit, Photoshop, AutoCAD, Sketch-UP and Adobe Suite.
Qualification, Education & Experience:
- 13+ years in design industry with relevant experience.
- BA (minimum) in Interior Design / Architecture from reputable and accredited curriculum or board.
- LEED (or equivalent) certification preferable.
- Commercial experience.
- Strong digitization experience.
- Passionate design professional.
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be a thought leader.
- Drive innovation.
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and comfortable with ambiguity and complex challenges.
- Passionate about design technology, including immersive tech and visualization.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive design presentations to employees, clients, management.
- Ability to lead teams of senior designers and below.
- Ability to comprehend, analyse, and interpret complex business documents.
- Ability to solve problems involving several options in situations.
- Decisions made with understanding of procedure and company policies to achieve set results and deadlines.
- Responsible for setting own project deadlines.
- Plans and conducts tasks requiring independent judgement in the evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard design techniques and procedures. - - Supervises others in areas where precedents are not clearly established.